Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How many have been teenage moms or have had to deal with teenage moms?

My daughter (technically she is my step-daughter, but I call her my own since her mom died a little over a year ago) She is pregnant at 15. I am just wondering who has dealt with something like this and how do you support them the best you can?


I want to be able to help her when ever I can and support her but what are some other ways I can show her that I want to help her?How many have been teenage moms or have had to deal with teenage moms?
My sister got pregnant at 16. I was her legal guardian after she got pregnant, my mom basically disowned her. I was 17 at the time and legally emancipated.





The best way I supported my sister was to be there for her when she felt like there was no hope.





I paid the bills in a small apartment for us, took her to her doctor's appointments, took her to get baby stuff. I made sure to listen to her about what was going on. I found out the best way to be supportive emotionally was to just be there to listen.





I also made sure to help her do her homework and school projects, so that she didn't fall behind in school. I also made sure (I was a senior in HS at the time btw) to bring saltines and snack foods with me to school that (we shared 2 classes together, Russian and Gym) if she ever got hungry or sick...she had something to snack on.





Why not throw her a baby shower? I did that for my sister, and invited all of her friends so that she knew that this baby was a blessing.





As a side note: I said from the get-go that this WASN'T my child, and that she would ultimately be responsible for her schooling AND raising the kid.How many have been teenage moms or have had to deal with teenage moms?
I was a teenage father. My daughter was born Feb 2006 of my senior year of high school and I was 18yrs. I've been raising her on my own since April 2006 and she's now a running, talking machine at 2yrs.


The best thing you can do is support her. Go with her to doctors apps, help her set things up, buy things for the baby, give her tips on motherhood etc (if your family is going to raise it). But what is really important is support. I can't tell you how good it feels to know that someone is on your side, that someone is going to help you through this and be there for you....someone who isn't going to yell and scream about the mess you got yourself into. At this point, she always knows her situation and support from someone she loves is something she's REALLY going to need.


She's also going to need encouragement. As much as you want to help, she needs to learn that this baby isn't going to be completely someone else's responsibility. She's going to struggle in the beginning (nothing new comes easy), but needs to know she'll get the hang of it soon.


Good Luck
I became a Mom three days before my 18th birthday. I finished High School with honors and worked a full time job. I did live with my parents, but I paid for all of my babies, daycare, diapers, clothing, food, etc..... My parents did help me out alot, they babysat if I had to work weekends or if I wanted to go out to dinner or a movie. But they wouldn't watch him just so I could go run around and do all the stuff other kids my age were doing. I think the best thing for you to do is help her and let her know you love her and want to help, but don't take over mothering the baby. She needs to be responsible and as hard as it is, it is well worth it in the end.
I was a teen mom (though was older than your stepdaughter). My best advice is to support her and love her. If she's going to parent this child, she will need a lot of guidance. Some teen moms are ready to step up and do what it takes to be a parent, others are not.





One little thing: throw her a baby shower. Let her be happy about it and for a little bit, not let the whole teenage mom thing hang over her head. That's one thing that I didn't have, as a pregnant teenager and I'm surprised that 15 years later, it still nudges at me.





Just my thoughts.
my mom had me at 15,and she was a great mom while someone was supporting her....i got pregnant and 3months late she got evicited form her house neither her or her husband could get out of it(shes never really had a job)and i stoped letting her borrow money so that i can save up for my son....she got mad and a month after i gave birth i still wouldnt give her or her husband money and about a week ago she changed her number and still havent given it to me......so if u want to help her do it but make sure she knows that she has to support the baby not everyone else......after she has the baby and can start working make her so that she knows that she will be the one supporting her child....good luck,and hopefully she wont put her child thro what my mom put me thro
well my sister got pregnant at 15,. but there wasnt much to get mad but thee fact that she was 15. her boy friend had a nice paying job bought thee baby everything and his side of thee family was just at excited as we were theres not much to show her you are accepting thee sitution and are supporting her talk to her about go shopping for baby things and bonding. just show her your not mad :D








And Congradulations Grandma :)
Just tell her you want to help when you can but don't take over everything . I myself got pregnant at 15 and my older sister did too. My mom took over for my sister and she ended just leaving the baby with her to raise but me she learned and i raised my child mostly with her ';help'; . I am really glad she did . That made me learn to be independent and i can say I'm way better off than my sister right now.
well im a teenage mom of a 7months baby boy, and aint easy raising a baby

No comments:

Post a Comment