Sunday, August 22, 2010

How do I help my teenage son who is cutting himself?

I just discovered that my 14 year old son is cutting himself. After confronting him with it today I find out that he has been doing it for months and has been hiding it. Now he is doing it in places that are more difficult to hide such as on the top of his hands and his inner wrist. I asked him why he was doing it and he said he doesn't know. From what I've been finding on my internet searches this is more common in teenage females.I know he needs professional help but how do I get him to agree to it?How do I help my teenage son who is cutting himself?
you need to get him help


now


and he wont agree, but you need to get him help


he thinks he is fine and can stop when he wants


he thinks he doesnt need help


but he does


and you are the best person to help him


dont be afraid of him ';hating you';


yes he will be angry at you for a little while, but that will quickly pass





this is coming first hand, you need to help himHow do I help my teenage son who is cutting himself?
you should talk to him. show him some self-harm awareness video's and see what he thinks after he see's them. ask him if he might be haveing any problems at school or with siblings... i'm certianly not one to be talking because i used to be in the same situation as your son but i believe he can stop

Report Abuse



At the age of 14 he does not have to agree to getting help. My daughter went thru the same issues with her daughter at about the same age. My granddaughter was put in a psychiatric place where she did not have access to things with which she could hurt herself. She was given counseling there. It was a long pull, she was in a couple of different places over a couple of years. But she kept up with her homework, and eventually came out to live in the world again. She graduated from high school. She is now 20 and doing well. You MUST protect your son from himself, and get him help, he is suffering terribly inside. Call you local mental health association, and be diligent in getting him committed somewhere he cannot hurt himself, and also get the counseling he needs. God's blessings be with you, Mom. Look to God !
you dont have to have his consent for treatment. he may be upset with you at first, but he will appreciate it in the long run. id say instead of commiting him somewhere, to make a appointment with a psychiatrist. they can figure out why he is doing this, and help him stop, without unnecessarily disrupting his life, which could make him even more stressed.
cutting realeases endorphines that make him feel good. If he's under any major stress, like school friends or family, he might turn to that instead of talking. i'd start by just asking him to go to like a theripist or phycologist and tell him he doesn't have to talk till he's ready.
well, the best thing to do would to find out why he is doing it. also don't try to send him to therapy immediately. try to make a compermise with him.
tell him you mean so much to me and i love you. Give him confidence boosters and tell him every time you cut yourself you hurt me too. I want you to be happy please stop this and lets go see someone. Not because you need help but because i want the best for you. Make it seem like no big deal and he will resist of course but just take him anyway. Also see what kind of people he hangs out with. They could be the cause of his probs

No comments:

Post a Comment