Thursday, July 29, 2010

What do you say to a cousin who lost her teenage child in a car accident?

My husband has a cousin who just lost her child in a car accident. I think we need to call the parents to express our deep sorrow and shock, but my husband doesn't think that's appropriate. While his cousin and husband are very sweet people, we only speak to them every few years at family events, and he feels it would just make a difficult situation worse for his cousin. What should we do to show them we care without adding to their burdens?What do you say to a cousin who lost her teenage child in a car accident?
How could anyone make their burden worse? This is the worst it can get. I had a similar relationship with my cousin when they lost their son to AIDS. All you need to say is that you're sorry for their loss. My cousin was grateful for my condolences, as many of their friends had turned their backs on them because they still loved their son! I also offered my condolences to my aunt, his grandmother. No one can get too much love at a time like this.


If your husband is uncomfortable with a call, at least send a card.What do you say to a cousin who lost her teenage child in a car accident?
You should at least call to offer your sympathy/condolences. Offer to help with something. Bad times.

No comments:

Post a Comment